These learning are from the Pearl City Project of PCC of 2012. Some of the learnings I took. Jotting them down before I forget.
By handling a Multi-contract approach there will be huge leverage on slippages.
Difference in IT and other industries
- No visibility on IT industries. So we need this visibility & metrics to measure the visibility.
- Interface requirements might change.
Project Management Essentials
- Align with strategy and stakeholder needs
- Establish clear objectives
- Balance resources with constraints of budget, effort, cost, schedule
- Execution Strategy: Who will do it, What, Where, How
- Execution Plan: When will it be done
- Everything has a design basis. Ask why?
- Do follow books. Lots of paper work. Help project control.
- Build craft centers
- Strengths – Database and Information systems.
- Everything is quantifiable. Metric -> Deviation.
- Keep track of assumptions during the course of project.
Types of contracting
- Cost Plus contracting.
- Unit rate contracting.
Object classification of projects
(What is the content of the project and purpose?)
- Inherent complexities
- Project span
Briefly about Cloud Computing:
- Data Center Electicity Consumption vs Consumption of Services
- Service consumption is seasonal and bursty
- If infrastructure provisioning is minimal, then building the team is going to be important.
- Re-engineering AppStack modules to SOA
- Every App Developer is a System / Service Integrator
- Utility model ala electricity
- Objective is to be lean and mean & to optimize costs
Global Delivery Model #toread